Best VPN for Texas in 2022 for Safety, Speed and Streaming
If you’re going to use one of Texas’ multiple public WiFi hotspots, you need a VPN that can keep you safe from hackers and cybercrime. Public networks are often unsecured, leaving them — and you — vulnerable to all kinds of cyberattacks.
A VPN can also help you unblock international content that might not be available in the state. If you’re a Texan traveling abroad, you can even use your VPN to safely access your local services and content — so you can support the Texas Rangers or Dallas Mavericks when overseas.
I tested over 30 VPNs for Texas to find the best ones to keep you safe online and give you access to an open internet. We also tested speeds to make sure you can browse and stream without sacrificing the blazing-fast internet Texas offers.
My top choice for Texas is ExpressVPN. It’s fast, secure, and it has thousands of servers around the world. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN without hesitation, as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Best VPNs for Texas
Texas is in the US, which is part of the 5-Eyes Alliance. The 5-Eyes are a group of countries that collect and share information on citizens. Using a secure VPN can stop your data from falling into the wrong hands.
The VPNs on this list all offer substantial privacy and security features. I also looked for VPNs with servers in Texas and throughout the US to give you the fastest speeds in the country. The best VPNs for Texas all offer money-back guarantees so that you can try them with confidence.
ExpressVPN — Extremely Fast Speeds for Streaming Live Sports Without Buffering
- Server speed and location: Superior speeds with 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Dallas, Texas
- Security capability: AES 256-bit encryption and Perfect Forward Secrecy
- Data privacy: A kill switch and a no-logs policy
- money-back guarantee: 30 days
- Can stream local and global content: Netflix (US), ESPN, Hulu, YouTube TV, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and more
With ExpressVPN, your connection speed remains lightning-fast. I barely noticed a drop in speeds after connecting to a server in Dallas. For the fastest speeds, I recommend using the VPN’s proprietary security protocol (Lightway), which is faster than other protocols.
Fast speeds are good news for torrenting. ExpressVPN allows P2P traffic on all of its servers. You also get unlimited bandwidth, so you don’t need to worry about data caps when uploading or downloading files. I didn’t experience any delays while testing the VPN with BitTorrent.
You get access to international content and services via 3,000 servers in 94 countries if you’re visiting Texas. I could also stream from my Netflix and BBC iPlayer accounts in UHD without buffering.
The VPN is perfect for privacy seekers. One of my favorite features is Network Lock, ExpressVPN’s built-in kill switch. Network Lock disconnects you from the internet if the VPN unexpectedly fails (which is very rare).
Military-grade encryption protects your data, as well as a strict no-logs policy. The no-logs policy means ExpressVPN won’t collect, store, or share your browsing habits and other sensitive information. You can even pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity.
The desktop and mobile apps are easy to set up and use. A quick tip: My family and I tend to use more than 5 devices simultaneously, so I installed the VPN on my router. That way, you can protect all the devices on your home network. You can even watch the latest Texas Longhorn game on your Nintendo Switch with MediaStreamer. This feature allows you to use ExpressVPN on devices that wouldn’t typically support a VPN.
You can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you feel ExpressVPN isn’t a good fit, you can ask for a refund. I tested the policy by canceling my subscription via the 24/7 live chat, and the refund was back in my PayPal account in 3 business days.
How to Set Up a VPN for Texas
- Download a VPN. ExpressVPN is my choice. You get fast speeds and an extensive network of servers to access local and international content. Try ExpressVPN without risk (it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee).
- Connect to a server. Choose a country you want to access content in and select a server. For example, if you want to watch the Longhorns on ESPN, pick a server in the US.
- Start browsing. You now have a secure connection for accessing the websites and services you need.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Texas
Staying safe on public WiFi in Texas is easy when you have the right VPN. You can use the below criteria to find the best VPN for your specific needs:
- Strong encryption. The current industry standard for VPNs is 256-bit encryption, as it’s virtually uncrackable. Even the US military uses it to protect sensitive information, so your data stays safe. The best VPNs for Texas all use (or offer) 256-bit AES encryption.
- No-logs policy. VPNs with a no-logs policy won’t collect, store, or share your browsing habits or personal information. A no-logs policy is essential when visiting or living in the US (a founding member of the 5-Eyes Alliances).
- A kill switch. A kill switch disconnects your device from the internet if the VPN unexpectedly drops, effectively preventing accidental location or data exposure. All of the VPNs on this list have a tried-and-tested kill switch.
- Fast speeds. To get the fastest speeds while in Texas, you need a VPN with servers in the state. All the VPNs on my list have servers located in Texas.
- Global servers. The more servers a VPN has worldwide, the better your chances of accessing the content you need while abroad. Plus, if one server doesn’t unlock a specific website or service, you’ll probably be able to find another one that does.
- Trusted money-back guarantee. A money-back guarantee is a nice fail-safe if you find that the VPN you chose isn’t a good fit. The best VPNs for Texas all offer a money-back guarantee, so you aren’t stuck with a VPN that isn’t right for you.
FAQs on Using a VPN in Texas
Are VPNs legal in Texas?
Yes, using a VPN is legal in Texas when using it for lawful online activities. It’s a good idea to use a VPN because the US is part of the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliances, which gathers and shares information on its citizens.
The best VPNs for Texas provide strong privacy and security protection, including strict no-logs policies. Plus, each one has a money-back guarantee, so you can request a refund if the one you choose isn’t a good fit for any reason.
Can I use a free VPN for Texas?
Yes, but I don’t recommend using a free VPN for Texas. All free VPNs, even reputable ones, limit your server selection, bandwidth, and even data. Worse yet, you may not get access to top-notch security or privacy features (kill switch, split tunneling, private servers) without an upgrade.
The worst free VPNs can even sell your data to third parties.
It’s better to go with a premium VPN that offers a money-back guarantee. That way, you can buy a plan without feeling locked in if it isn’t what you need.
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re vacationing at an authentic Texas Dude Ranch or live in Dallas, using a VPN can help protect your private information from hackers. The VPNs on this list won’t reduce your speeds and offer the latest industry-standard VPN features.
ExpressVPN is my top choice for Texas. It has thousands of servers worldwide for bypassing geoblocks, and you get the best security features without sacrificing speed. Try ExpressVPN today with confidence, knowing it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.